Event/Venue Operations: Event Operations/Management
Senior Athlete Services Coordinator - IRONMAN (Boulder, CO)
This position is responsible for providing customer service for all WTC events (including all brands), leading up to, during and post-race, as well as executing a smooth and efficient Athlete Check-In process at WTC races throughout the Americas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The Athlete Services Senior Coordinator is responsible for the customer service and onsite execution of Slot Allocation for approximately multiple events in the Americas. Acting as the main point of contact via the event email address, the Athlete Services Senior Coordinator is handles all inquiries for their event leads that are received via email/phone. These inquiries range from general event questions, processing withdrawals and registration updates, and post-race inquiries related to lost and found or replacement athlete items. Additionally, the Athlete Services Senior Coordinator is responsible for pulling reports for various departments, Race and Regional Directors. They work closely with the Information Services team on the production of event collateral, and ensuring the event data is accurate, up-to-date and distributed accordingly.
The Senior Athlete Services Senior Coordinator also oversees both Athlete Check-In and Slot Allocation, including inventorying supplies, setting up, training volunteers and ensuring efficient registration processes are in place from start to finish.
The Athlete Services Senior Coordinator may, from time to time, be tasked with assisting licensed events in both North and South America. In this capacity, the Athlete Service Coordinator will have more limited responsibilities that mainly incorporate the onsite duties such as check-in and slot allocation.
• Handle all athlete inquires via email or phone both pre and post events, as well as onsite
• Work directly with Athlete Services Manager and/or Director of Athlete and Information Services to resolve any complaints or problems requiring additional attention
• Enforce WTC rules including withdrawal/transfer policies
• Keep record of special circumstances leading up to and during event week
• Establish a working relationship with the Regional and Race Director, Volunteer Director and other pertinent onsite staff
• Take appropriate actions to ensure athlete has a memorable experience during event week
• Work directly with the Race Director and Event Collateral Coordinator on all informational materials pertinent to their assigned races (athlete guides, spectator guides, traffic impacts, etc…)
• Work directly with the Website Content Coordinator to ensure accuracy on event pages
• Provide monthly participant lists to Website Content Coordinator for publishing
• Process all transfer requests for assigned events, per the North American Transfer Program
• Process all refunds for assigned events
• Ensure that all athletes who received Event Registration Protection approval are removed from the appropriate events (including removing their onsite materials)
• Work directly with any Special Teams, Physically Challenged and Handcycle athletes to ensure their needs are known and met before, during and post-race
• Work directly with the Pro Membership Liaison to ensure a streamlined process for all Professional Athletes
• Ensure that all media, charity, IRONMAN Foundation, and spotlight athletes are accounted for and work with the appropriate departments on bib assignments and special requests
• Submit athlete database to Merchandise team for product development
• Submit athlete database to Account Manager for event program production
• Develop Athlete Check-In layout in order to maximize efficient registration process
• Oversee all aspects of Athlete Check-In including, but not limited to: packet and bag stuffing, training volunteers, Pro/Media check-in, walk up registrations, etc…
• Manage the Athlete Services Emergency phone line throughout race week
• Schedule Emergency Athlete Check-In on an as-needed basis
• Provide an offsite, personalized check-in for Executive Challenge athletes
• Inventory all department items to ensure each of the shipments received match up to the order
• Ensure that supply trailers are fully stocked with appropriate materials post-race and work directly with appropriate staff members on any restocking orders
• Work with the Athlete Development, VIP and Account Management team to ensure successful implementation of special programs and sponsor initiatives at Athlete Check-In
• Oversee Slot Allocation and Rolldown, including processing payment and distribution of qualifying materials
• Assist in various areas on race day on an as-needed basis per the Race and Regional Directors • Ship waivers and post-race materials to the appropriate office
• Handle the distribution of post-race shipping requests (t-shirts, bags, hats, medals, etc…)
• Oversee Slot Allocation and Rolldown, including processing payment and distribution of qualifying materials
• Set up awards and work with volunteers on appropriate distribution during the Awards Ceremony
• Receive slot allocation distribution spreadsheet and results from Timing
• Submit completed spreadsheet to Global Operations Coordinator immediately post-race
• Act as an event assist by traveling to designated events and assisting Athlete Services lead on all tasks and duties during event week
• Act as main point of contact for Volunteer Captain at Athlete Check-In
• Properly train all volunteers within Athlete Check-In to ensure a smooth registration process
• Provide on-site training to new hires
Analytical - Collects and researches data, uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, works well in group problem solving situations, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Project Management - Develops project plans, coordinates projects, communicates changes and progress, completes projects on time and budget.
• Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses, pursues training and development opportunities, strives to continuously build knowledge and skills, shares expertise with others.
• Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance, meets commitments.
• Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality, listens to others without interrupting, keeps emotions under control, remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates group presentation skills, participates in meetings.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively, edits work for spelling and grammar, varies writing style to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities, exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives, supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others, inspires and motivates others to perform well, effectively influences actions and opinions of others, accepts feedback from others, gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self-available to staff.
• Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget, develops and implements cost-saving measures, contributes to profits and revenue, conserves organizational resources.
• Ethics - Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, upholds organizational values.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures, completes administrative tasks correctly and on time, supports organization's goals and values, benefits organization through outside activities, supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals, understands organization's strengths & weaknesses, analyzes market and competition, identifies external threats and opportunities, adapts strategy to changing conditions.
• Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment. supports and explains reasoning for decisions, includes appropriate people in decision-making process, makes timely decisions.
• Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals, demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, measures self against standard of excellence, takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently, plans for additional resources. Sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and his or her tasks, develops realistic action plans.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of his or her status or position, accepts responsibility for own actions, follows through on commitments.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, looks for ways to improve and promote quality, applies feedback to improve performance, monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity - Meets productivity standards, completes work in timely manner, strives to increase productivity, works quickly.
• Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures, determines appropriate action beyond guidelines, reports potentially unsafe conditions, uses equipment and materials properly.
• Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time, ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent, arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction, takes responsibility for own actions, keeps commitments, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Initiative - Volunteers readily, undertakes self-development activities, seeks increased responsibilities, takes independent actions and calculated risks, looks for and takes advantage of opportunities, asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity, meets challenges with resourcefulness, generates suggestions for improving work, develops innovative approaches and ideas, presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.